Monday, May 2, 2011

Under The Spell of Old World


I recently learnt from my mom that my maternal great grand mom (my nani's mom) was a model (Phew!). She used to appear in print ads back in the day and was a very charming lady. Alas, whenever I visited her, I always found her bed ridden coz, she was very old (but she looked cute to me). 
Anyways, that ticked my mind to wonder how models in the olden times looked. Hugely fascinated as I am by the vintage frenzy and all things old and gold (including gramophones, black n white movies, songs of those times and not to forget the dressing style of the era), I googled for the pictures of those times. 

And to my surprise the advertisements and the magazine covers were rather fancy, some of them being way ahead of their times. So here I present to you some of the classic advertisements that I am sure must have created quite a buzz during those times.



Sharmila Tagore gracing Filmfare's cover page






Parveen Babi on Filmfare's cover page




Sushmita Sen with a male model before being crowed as Miss Universe





                                                                   Coca Cola's print ad




                                                   A model donning Flying Machine jeans



                               
                                             Yester year's actress Nanda on print ad of Lux





                                             Saira Bano and Hema Milini swearing by Lux





Models donning Khatau Saree (with Very-Now makeup)

No comments:

Post a Comment